Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Olympics

Did you see the opening ceremony? I let the girls stay up an hour later than normal so they could see as much as they could. My favorite part was where Ryleigh went and got her globe and made me point out where each country was as they marched into the arena. My second favorite part is where they paid tribute to Newfoundland! If you missed that part, they did a pretty cool fiddle and tap dancing performance that the creator said was inspired by his trip to St. John's. Honestly the only time I think I ever saw someone tap dancing was when we passed a bum on Water Street (downtown). The fiddle however is a really big part of the Newfoundland traditional folk music which is influenced by their large Irish population. Every Sunday they would play only traditional folk music on the radio and I always looked forward to getting my weekly dose of fiddle playing and singing about fishin' and drinkin'. See, not that big of a difference between Texas and Newfoundland.

So the Olympics are in full swing and now I'm just looking forward to seeing Stephen Colbert make speed skating worth watching.

You're a great and brave Americna Stephen Colbert...I salute you.

No comments: