Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Day of Loss

Yesterday was a day that Jeramy and I have dreaded for a very long time; nine years and two months to the exact. Last night we lost Jackson, our 9 1/2 year old yellow lab. He was put down at approximately midnight last night. It was all so sudden and unexpected that I think the reality of it still hasn't set in. Yesterday started off as a better than normal day. We spent the whole weekend at my sister's house, all six of us (me, Jeramy, Ryleigh, Avery, Jackson and Rocky.) Becca and I went for a walk every day and I took Jackson with us every day. After our walk yesterday we went and saw my brother's new apartment, then we loaded up and headed home. We stopped in Conroe for a few hours to see some of Jeramy's family and noticed then that Jackson wasn't himself. He wouldn't eat and drank way more than normal. He also wouldn't go #2, though it was obvious that he needed to. Once we got home, his conditioned worsened. The girls were already in bed, so Jeramy rushed him to the vet by himself. They quickly diagnosed Jackson with a twisted gut or bloat. They told us that surgery was an option, but x-rays revelaed that he was in the latter stages and that it was not likely he would make it through the surgery. Jeramy and I made the very difficult decision to let our friend go.

Jeramy and I got Jackson in March of 1999. He was about 4 months old at that point. He was a shelter dog and was in desperate need of a good home. We were two college kids that didn't have any business owning a dog but we did the best we could for him. During his time with us he took many road trips, attended many college parties, tubed the Guadalupe and camped in the Mississippi wilderness. We have always loved him and always will. It's hard to even remember our relationship without that dog in our lives.

His personal items will be buried at my parent's house where my dad has already chosen a spot for him. My parents will be planting a tree in his honor. Thank you to everyone for your condolences.

To our dear friend Jack-Dog, you have brought immeasurable joy and laughter into our lives. You will be missed and never forgotten. Take it easy boy. We love you...Mom and Dad

No comments: