Thursday, July 29, 2010

Graduation Day

Since I get really bothered with those people that start the first post to their blog in months with the obvious, "Wow, Geeeze, I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted!"...I won't do that. Not at all, because it's obvious. You can see the dates and it's very plain, it's been several months, several busy months, since I've logged a post.

We are three weeks and a few days away from school starting and rather than recap a whole summer in one very long and boring post I'll start with this: Kindgerten Graduation. Our little girl, born on the 4th of July, 2004, is now a First Grader. Now, I'm not a sappy person. Ask anyone in my family, ask my husband, ask our beta fish and they will tell you, I'm not a sappy person and I don't cry easily. But two things have made me cry this summer as the mere thought of them come to the surfuce of my brain; one I will discuss in a future post and the other is the realization that Ryleigh is on her way in this world...*tears, sniff, sniff, tears*.

One day this summer she told that she knows more than I do. I was taken back by this observation as it took me until 6th grade to draw the conclusion that I knew more than my mother. Of course my mother agreed with me but to my daughter I asked "What's the sqare root of 16?" When she couldn't answer I told her to keep learning more stuff, she might catch up when I'm 80 and decide that the era of non-stop donut eating has entered my life.

She is a bright girl though and loves to sit around and write out math equations but really hates to read. She loves to be read to, just doesn't seem to have the patience it takes to tackle the whole sounding out of words thing. The thought of having a child that doesn't get the joy of reading is frightening to me. I love to read and always have. However, if she keeps it up with the math...and the Geograhpy...and the current events...and the science and all the other things that do highly interest her, she just might be able to make it in this world. And then maybe at some point, when she can learn to read the good stuff, you know, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men...Twilight, she will catch on to this reading thing and be just as much of a smart-ass dork as her mother.


Graduation Day:


1 comment:

jandscanada said...

Glad you're posting again. I've missed reading what's going on in your world.
KB's Mom