Friday, October 3, 2008

A Special Night

Last night Ryleigh and I went to a local theater for a production of Cinderella. I have been wanting to take her to a play for some time now. I was about her age when my Grandma Friend (Robinson) took me to my first play and forever changed my life. There is a small theater in Odessa called the Permian Playhouse. Every year they put on four children's plays and I went to every single one of them from when I was four until I was in about Junior High. At that time I switched to more adult productions and my Grandma and I continued to attend productions at both the Permian Playhouse and the Globe Theater also in Odessa. I still love a good stage show, though I don't get to attend near as often as I would like. I have always wanted to pass along this love of the theater to my children so last night was perhaps even more of a treat for myself than it was for Ryleigh.

One might wonder how well a four year old could hold their attention in an over two hour production, but Ryleigh hardly blinked an eyelash. Her eyes remained glued to the stage and she only spoke to ask a few questions about what was going on. During intermission we went down to the orchestra pit and I explained to her exactly how that worked. After the show we got to meet the cast down by the stage. She covered her mouth with her hands as she met the king and smiled from ear to ear as the prince took her hand and Cinderalla gave her a hug. Truly a magical night for both of us.

No comments: