Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Movin' On

Today is the 44th day in this apartment. That is 44 days of sleeping in the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. Well, I take that back, the hotel we stayed in at Trey Brown's wedding had a worse bed. Not only was it uncomfortable, it also had some sort of red stain on the side of the mattress and I refused to be anywhere near the comforter, which meant I spent the whole night shivering. But the beds in this apartment are definitely a close second. My back is quite sore and my shoulder (which I dislocated several times as a teenager and had surgery on when I was 19) is killing me. Tonight, it ends.

Tomorrow the movers will be bringing our things to the new house. AND, Mattress Firm will bring the new mattress. We won't have a fridge for another 9 days and we won't have cable until Monday, but I will be sleeping on a Stearns and Foster pillow top tomorrow night. Amen.

I really am not a great housewife. I know this, I admit it, I belong in a cubicle. I belong in front of a computer or in a conference room at a random and pointless meeting. I really feel that, I am comfortable and confident there. But I am working on this whole housewife thing. The kids and the "wifely duties", I've got that down. Tending to the house...not so much.

In an effort to do better, I have decided to take a more active interest in decorating. And this is big for me because I hate decorating. I really do. I remember how in college my friend Davi had her apartment decorated so awesomely cute and she always seemed to have just found some sweet deal on everything that she used. I would spend twice as much money and end up with a nice rug, not a whole living room. And she can sew...I've had a sewing machine for four years, it's still in the box.

So, for the 44 days that I've spent in this apartment I have studied things like color combinations and patterns and materials and you should see the stack of magazines in my living room. I have spent hours wandering around decorating stores, just taking it all in, hoping that some of it will sink in. My friends tell me that I need to be willing to buy stuff and take it back if it doesn't work out. This is hard for me as well, spending money on something that really will serve no purpose except to sit there and look pretty. But I'm working on it, and I think it's going to be good.

I spent the weekend painting our bedroom and the dining room. I'm not showing any pictures until it's all done, but I think it's going to be fabulous. Hopefully, maybe. And yes, this is why I have been so absent on my blog, I've been studying.

One more glass of wine and I'm off to bed, got to get some good sleep, tomorrow will be a very big day!

1 comment:

Karen W. said...

I hope that you learn something that will rub off on me. I still live in an undecorated house and October will be 4 years that we've been there!