Sunday, September 20, 2009

We Both Got An Education Today

The day that the mover's showed up to deliver our household goods I found a little something waiting for me on the front porch. It was what appeared to be an animal turd of some sort. It was large enough for me to notice, but not large enough to be from a cat or a dog, even a small one. The turd was about an inch long and of course Avery stepped right in it because the laws of physics clearly dictate that when a one inch turd is on a 25 square foot porch and a child is approaching, that child will certainly and without fail step in the turd.

So, I quickly washed the squished turn off of her shoes so I wouldn't be picking it out of the cracks of her soles later and spent the remainder of the day and at various moments since then wondering what creature left such a lovely "welcome home" gift on my front porch. Of course I decided that it was most likely a snake. A small snake, but a snake. Snakes are what I fear seeing in my front garden the most and the lack of snakes is what I think made Newfoundland the most appealing to me. Kind of funny considering I grew up hunting rattle snakes and even found a few in my own backyard.

Fast forward to today, a nice Sunday, a good day to take my eldest daughter to the Children's Museum for a little mommy and Ryleigh time. In the newly renovated outdoor area of the museum there is a building that sort of looks like a cabin in the woods. Inside the building is an exhibit devoted to woodland type creatures including a special section on tracking such creatures. And the feature method....turd identification! Oh snap...I'm gonna find my turd.

Y'all.....it was a toad turd. And since I failed to take a picture of the actual turd and thought it would be kind of creepy to take a picture of the fake turd at the museum I have scoured the internet for a picture that might make this post come alive for you. There is a lovely video on YouTube which I contemplated posting but since I don't know if you are eating at the moment and I am not drunk, I'll let you go find that one for yourself.

No comments: