Saturday, January 31, 2009

Day One, No Kids

I took off from St. John's yesterday morning headed for New York for a girl's weekend with my sister. It felt so vey strange and distantly familiar at the same time checking in for my flight by myself. There was only me and one bag, not two kids running around, a stroller, a diaper bag, an activity bag and mass chaos trying to not hold up the people in line behind me....just me, my bag and a good book.

After I got totally felt up by multiple people at security I jumped on my plane, curled up with my good book and a cup of coffee for a 3 hour 20 minute flight south. The cup of coffee is important, you can't have that on a plane when you're squished between two kids. If you burn them on accident, even if the accident is caused by their flailing about because they can't wait another second for their pretzels and sprite, CPS will certainly be waiting for you upon your arrival.

I for the most part, hate to fly. Medication and alcohol are usually required to get me through a flight, however when I fly with the kids neither are available (remember, CPS) but I don't typically need it with them. Parenthood has this crazy bravery inducing affect on me. To show them fear is to set the situation up for mass chaos, especially at nap time. On my flight yesterday, I did feel a bit nervous and since even I won't drink at 8:30 in the morning (okay, they didn't have bloody marys or mimosas) I just shut the window and tried to get into my book. About an hour away from New York though, I opened the window and was really glad I did. The view was spectacular. I'm guessing we were over Novia Scotia or somewhere close. The sky was so clear, the ocean was so gorgeous and the little broken pieces of snow and ice covered land scattered out below. Ahhh, peace.

My sister landed shortly after I did and we grabbed a taxi and headed out. Had some great Cuban food for lunch, did a little shopping and then got ready for a show. Unfortunately, the play sort of sucked. It was at the American Airlines theater and I've never had so little foot space at a theater before. And the acting really sucked too. I'm still wondering if it's just a bad play in general, of if it was this cast in particular. Even the applause at the end was so half-assed, you really felt sorry for the players.

So, we grabbed some post show Mexican food and headed back to the hotel. It was lights out for us and 10 hours later, I woke up. Amazing. My body hasn't had that much straight sleep in, well, a very long time. Becca is busy planning our day and we'll be heading out soon for the MET, some more shopping and later tonight, dinner at Mesa Grill. I really don't care what she's planning over there, it's just really great to spend some quality time with my little sis.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

it's surreal to travel alone now, isn't it? you're making me jealous, but i'm loving the updates! :)

Staci said...

YAY I am glad you made it and your having fun.