Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mother's Day

So, Happy Mother's Day to everyone! I hope everyone had a great one, I sure did! Avery woke up at 6am and I didn't move a muscle. Jeramy swept her away (she was in our bed by the morning) and let me sleep away. At about 8am Jeramy and both of the girls showed up with breakfast; scrambled eggs, strawberries, yogurt and for dessert a cheesestick. Ryleigh was particularly excited about the cheesestick for dessert, it was clearly her idea. Avery was particularly excited about the strawberries, she scarfed down three out of four of them while I at "my" breakfast. Ryleigh also presented me several hand made cards and one hand made flower. Best gifts I could possibly ask for. After I was done eating, the breakfast crew vacated the room and I continued to snooze until 11:30! I wasn't just being lazy, Jeramy and I were over at his boss' house pretty late last night, so it really was extra cool of him to let me sleep in since I know he was just as tired as I was. After I got up I fed the girls some lunch in the kitchen that my hubby had cleaned, put Avery down for her nap and then headed off for my weekly workout session with my trainer. After a good workout and a protein shake I headed home to prepare the family for a birthday party this afternoon at the pool. We're not talking about flip-flops and sunblock, it's an indoor pool and the girls had a blast. Avery is so fearless, she marched right up the kiddie slide and went right on down into her daddy's waiting arms. Ryleigh got to hang out with her friends, which always makes her happy. And when my babies are happy, momma is happy.

One more thing...

This last week I honored another special mom and grandma...my Granny, Betty Steen. Granny passed away in September 1996 after a battle with lung cancer. During her battle she went through chemo treatment and as a result of the treatment, she lost all of her hair. One of my last memories of her is from Thanksgiving 1995. We used to have Thanksgiving dinner at her house every year. This particular year, when we walked in and saw Granny in the kitchen wearing her apron, cooking up a storm, she was completely bald from the chemo. I don't remember her baldness ever bothering her. One of the most remarkable things about Granny, was that superficial nonsense completely eluded her. She loved her family, loved her grankids and loved two little girls that didn't become a part of her family until they were preschoolers. I miss her, she was cool and she would think that things like moving to a place where icebergs float by just a few miles from your house was awesome.

Three days ago I cut about 9 inches of my hair off and donated it to an organization that makes wigs for cancer patients. The donation was made in Betty's name and it was cool to be able to honor her even in such a small way. Here are the pictures:








2 comments:

Collin and Marisa said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too! That is wonderful that you donated your hair to cancer patients. I did that about 4 years ago. It was a wonderful experience. Your new haircut looks so cute!

-Marisa

Staci said...

WOW it looks gorgeous! I love it.