Friday, June 6, 2008

Feeling Enlightened

I know, 3 posts in one day, kind of crazy. I've had some wonderful sleeping kids today, so this is what you get. And now, now is 10:46pm and I'm up alone because Ryleigh didn't have a nap and went down at 7:45, then went Avery at 8:30, then went Jeramy at 9:30. So, it's just me searching the internet and then I had a moment that I wanted to write about.

I've wrote about it before. About how the art of writing is going to shit. About how kids today think that "What is up?" is spelled "Wuz up?". Becuase, that's the way that you text those words and it gets much worse.

I'm reading a book right now titled "The World Without Us" by Alen Weisman. AWESOME book. I don't think I've ever read anything so comprehensively informative. In it, Weisman describes the salt domes in New Mexico that are currently being used as a dump site for this nation's radioactive waste, something that I've heard about before. He goes on to describe how once these domes are full, that they will be sealed and that warning signs will be posted warning future cultures of what lurks below. However, languages tend to only last about 500-600 years on this earth, so 25,000 years from now, when the waste will just begin to lose a fraction of its radioactivity, there will need to be a way to warn future inhabitants about the dangers of digging up this death dump. Weisman doesn't describe this, but I've read elsewhere that the plan is to post a sign of a man digging with an "X" over him. Genius, that should do it just fine. Because as a human, when I'm told not to do something without further explanation, my initial reaction is to totally walk away....NOT!

Anyways, so I read this and was thinking, how do languages manage to diappear in a mere 500-600 years?? Then, tonight, I was surfing the web and thought I would look in on my 16 year old cousin's myspace page. The answer just started blaring at me in the form of comment posts like this:

yepp.suree did. she txted backk 1nce andd then stoppedtxting mee.?? it was kindaa werid.woo mr..ii got a bonee 2 pickk w/yu..but ii really can't say over commentsyu know..lol

Seriously.....what???? Is that English???? People, I present to you, the deterioration of the current English language as we know it. And, you saw it here first. 500-600 years from now, I'm totally going to get to say...I told you so!!!!

No comments: