Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lighthouses, Whales and More Eating!

This morning we got up and walked across the street to a little coffee shop for breakfast and coffee. Then we jumped in the truck and decided to just start driving. Next thing you know we were one cove over where there was a working lighthouse and a museum. Jeramy and Ryleigh got out and hiked up the hill to see them both while I sat in the truck with sleeping Avery. They were gone for about an hour but that didn't bother me at all because I had the whole ocean spread out before me to look at. While I was busy looking I saw a bunch of whales come up and blow spary in the air. A couple of times I ever caught a glimpse of a fin or two. Awesome.

After driving around we headed downtown to this little fish place where they served fried cod tongues. Yeah, no thank you. We did chow down on some fish and chips and pasta. After doing a little shopping down there, we looked around at a few car lots and then headed back to the hotel. Ryleigh and I went for a great swim in the indoor heated pool and then we went out for dinner. I swear I've gained 5 pounds this week with all the eating out!

My camera went dead today so here are a few pics that I took yesterday of the town and few things that we've learned since being here:
  • St. John's received the first trans-Atlantic wireless signal ever sent in 1901

  • The lighthouse that we saw today is the eastern most spot in North America

  • St. John's has more bars per capita than any other city in Nort America

  • Newfoundland is 2 1/2 hours ahead of CST.

  • In Canada a corn dog is called a pogo stick.

  • The sun comes up at 4 AM in this town during this time of the year!


No comments: