Friday, February 20, 2009

Jenn, AKA Human Snow Plow

We had a second storm roll in this morning around 4am. This one dropped just as much snow as Wednesday, maybe more. There wasn't any wind and some rain was mixed in so it all just plopped right down on the ground and was really heavy. I know because I shoveled it this afternoon and it wasn't easy. I did manage to get my stoop clear and some of the driveway. The good thing was that it warmed to 5C this afternoon, so about 43F. That helped to melt some of the snow and clear some of my driveway, but it's still quite amazing how much snow there is in our yard...and it's a mild winter they say! We've definitely decided that next year we'll be getting a snow blower. The snow clearing guy kind of sucks and there isn't really enough room for him to push the snow much. If I had a snowblower my driveway would be the cleanest in the neighborhood. Yes, I do totally suffer from driveway envy. One of our neighbors is retired and that's all in the world he has to do...clear his driveway...and it's sooo purdy!

School was cancelled again today, so I had both the girls at home. Plus, I had already promised to watch my friend's two youngest children so with her two young ones, the two older kids home from school and Avery, that was 5 kids in my care for almost 3 hours. And, the house is still standing! It was actually a lot of fun. After nap time, we all went to her house for some more play time and pizza. Ryleigh didn't want to leave and was pretty grumpy up until we sat down to read books.

One of her books is a word recognition type book. There are pictures of princess scenes with small words next to certain objects. One of the scenes had a bowl of fruit sitting on a table. The word was "fruit". When we got to it, I could tell that she didn't quite know what the word was intending to label. Then she made an "f" sound and shouted out "fruit!" in a real excited way. She had just sounded out a word and got it right! I was so totally proud. It was s definite "Aha!" moment for her and after that she tried sounding out everything. I love those moments, those moments when you see them take a step up, turn a new page and grow just a little bit more.

Here are a few shots from bath time last night.



1 comment:

Staci said...

girl the snow was very heavy today. I thought I was going to trow my back out cleaning the porch. I would highly recomend a snow blower I use ours and it's pretty awesome.