Saturday, April 11, 2009

All Sorts of Canadian Things

My mom and little brother got here late Wednesday night, or I guess I should say the wee hours of the morning on Thursday. Screw a bunch of Continental in Newark. Once we all rested up we began having a really great visit. Thursday I took Curtis up to Signal Hill and out to Cape Spear for some spectacular views which included an iceberg or two. So much fun to watch my little brother from West Texas explore Newfoundland.


Friday night Jeramy and I took Curtis out to downtown St. John's. Of course we hit George Street for a few drinks at a cool little dive that always has live music. When the time came, we crossed the street over to Christians to get Curtis officially Screeched In. Getting Screeched in is a cute little ceremony that a few of the bars do where you basically get christined an honorary Newfoundlander. It involves some chanting, some shot taking and the kissing a frozen fish. Curtis did it all and had an absolute blast.


We took a taxi home, not drinky drivey here, and what to our wondering eyes should appear but A MOOSE! That's right people, I saw A MOOSE...in the wild! Well, sort of. We've dubbed him the city moose. He was walking across a strip mall parking lot at 1:30am and I saw him. My moose............MY moose. I pointed him out to Jeramy and Curtis and oh man, what a perfect way to end a great evening for Curtis in Canada...seeing a moose.


Yesterday we had some Newfoundland friends over for dinner and an egg hunt for their daughter and Ryleigh. So much fun to watch the girls go crazy over a bunch of hidden eggs. And, we even got to do it outside because for a few hours it was about 50 degrees Farenheit with minimum wind and clear skies. A fabulous April day! Then the parents got to escape for a little fun...Canada style!


Jeramy and I got invited to go curling. Soooo much fun. And let me tell you, it's so much harder than it looks. I honestly used to wonder how the hell it was an olympic sport..not anymore. It really takes some strength in your legs for the balance required to slide properly. Adding to the fun was the mix of people that we got to hang out with. There were Newfoundlanders, Labradorians, Britains and then of course the Texans. We all just had a blast coming together in the name of curling and drinking beer. To top it all off, we were getting taught how to play by a 2006 olympic curling gold medalist. Between my moose and my new found sport...I'm feeling more and more Canadian.

I'm in the middle of making Easter dinner and some other expat friends of ours will be coming over soon to partake in the eating. Happy Easter to All!

No comments: