Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What I'm Reading These Days

I thought I would comment on a few things I've read this year. It is so nice to have reading back in my life. Small children make it so difficult to read anything but now that they can play together relatively unsupervised it's a lot easier to find time to lock myself in my bedroom and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. Yeah, I'm just begging for CPS to make a visit.

My family will recall my obsession with Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett over the Christmas holiday. An excellent book for anyone who loves historical fiction type books, specifically those set in medieval England. This one has it all, kings, queens, knights, noblemen, serfs, monks bishops and even a cameo by Thomas Beckett. Thank you very much to Karen for turning me on to Kingsbridge Priory. The sequel, of sorts, World Without End is almost equally as good and is certainly equally as long. However, it is basically the same story just retold 200 years later with a few alterations.

Around the beginning of the year my friend Betsy loaned me all four books to the Twilight series. I let them set around my bedroom for a while and then one night in a moment of weakness I picked up the first one to accompany me in the bath. Now I must say...I heart Edward Cullen. I blew through all four of them and was left thirsty for more. For those who live under a rock on the moon and don't know about Twilight it's basically a love story between a human girl and a vampire that doesn't drink human blood. I have now watched the movie approximately 2,479 times, and it just came out on DVD two weeks ago. I encourage everyone to read these books, but only because I don't like the feeling of belonging to a crazy cult on my own. I'm really too old for this crap. Thank you also to Kerry Beth for encouraging me to read these books. I blame you for my addiction as well.

I recently started the book Boom! by Tom Brokaw, a book about the 1960s, a decade that I so totally wish I could have been a part of. Totally. I'll let you know how it ends.

2 comments:

Kerry Beth said...

i too was(am) a twilight groupie as you know, the movie disappointed me to no end!
ever read the left behind series
by lehaye/jenkins? 10 bk series about revelations coming true. you may enjoy.
i got mike pillars and he is enjoying. hope you're having a nice visit w/ mom & curtis. love you...

Jen Brown said...

Oh yeah, I so love these books! Read them in record time a few months ago. But I saw the movie before I read them, so I had to expectations for it to fall short of!