Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Carlsbad Caverns and Scorpion #4

Scorpion #4 decided to go walking across the living room floor on Sunday while the girls and I were watching television. I'm very seiously done with seeing scorpions! This one was sick like the others, but still, not exactly what I want to see where my kids play. Come to think of it, those not from around here probably think I'm crazy to let my kids play and sleep in a house where scorpions tend to rear their ugly tails. Out here though, it's just something you get used to. At least at this house we don't regularly run into rattlesnakes like at our old house across town. I can remember about five or so snakes that came up in our backyard when I was growing up.


Sunday afternoon we headed up to White's City (http://www.whitescity.com/) to stay for the night. We planned on seeing the bats fly out of the cave at sunset, but first we let Ryleigh play at the waterpark by the hotel. You can see the pictures of the waterpark on their website. After a while I talked Ryleigh into riding down the big blue slide on my lap. She really loved it and went down in my lap several times, then PaPa Steve's lap a few times, then finally she went down by herself. I walked up to the top and my parents stood at the bottom to make sure she was okay. She came down alllll smiles! Then, she headed right back up. PaPa Steve finally talked her into going do the black tube (enclosed) slide with him. But we were totally shocked when she went back up to the top and came down the black slide all by herself! After getting our kicks in the water, we got dressed, had some dinner and headed to-the-bat-cave. My parents grew up in West Texas and raised all their kids in West Texas, but none of us had seen the bat flight. It was so totally cool. You can find several videos on youtube.com, but you're not really supposed to film the flight. I highly recommend if you are ever in the area.

Today we just hung out around town. Tomorrow it's off to Balmorea to go swimming.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/balmorhea/

And you people thought I grew up in a barren wasteland where the only thing to do was drink and go parking.

Yeah, so did I.

No comments: